Sunday, September 7, 2014

Cancer survivor, a young boy's battle

Olivia Cunningham
9/7/14
F Block
Introduction to Literature

Couch, R. (2014, May 19). Striking Before-And-After Photo Illustrates Childhood Cancer Survivor's Inspiring Recovery. Huff Post Impact . United states: The Huffington Post.

This picture in many ways tells a short story that can evoke feelings of sadness and hope in many readers' eyes. Noah was just four years old when he was diagnosed with AML, a rare and very serious form of leukemia. Through three years of being hospitalized, chemotherapy, and a bone marrow transplant, Noah is cancer free and is back to his happy, and cheerful self. I chose this picture to be my short story because many people hear about cancer victims and survivors, but as I read the article this picture came from, it struck me so hard I am forever changed. A four year old boy battling cancer....He is one brave kid. His wholehearted spirit is what kept him alive in the most desperate of times, and because of his perseverance, he is finally able to live a normal life that every child should have a chance at living.

3 comments:

  1. Olivia, I loved how the picture showed the before and after of the cancer patient/survivor. When I looked at it, I had feelings of pride and gratefulness that this little boy had lived. It is such an inspiring story and you put a really informative and satisfying paragraph at the bottom. I think the epiphany is when you look at the second part of the picture and realize that Noah isn't a cancer patient, he is a cancer survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James Bagnell
    Wow that's crazy how old he was to be battling cancer! I liked how you really showed compassion for this little boy. This made me feel very sad but aslo amazed how this little boy keeps on going struggling through cancer. I guess the epiphany is when he was diagnosed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anabelle,
    The way you thought about the picture is the exact way I was hoping people would. The picture was meant to be a reminder of the sadness that carries along with leukemia, but also bring some joy into knowing that Noah has survived.

    ReplyDelete