Sunday, September 7, 2014

I'd Rather Die Than Eat Camp Food

I wanted to go back so badly. I yearned for the sunburned shoulders, tanned faces, messy buns, and even the bell we could never hear. You could not even imagine such an amazing place like Tagonda, unless you’ve been there. And every time I explained it to someone, they gave me the same baffled expression and asked why I’d ever want to spend even a minute without A/C and no cell service in the middle of nowhere. I had to explain to them that nothing else in the world compares to camp and the friends you make there; they just didn’t get it. There’s something about the “poopy” colored cabins mixed together with the everyday craziness that drew me in. Like a moth attracted to the cabin after canteen, I flew through life trying to find something I’m attracted to as much as camp. It was my light pulling me through the year because I know every summer I get to go back. Or at least I used to know that.
Two months ago in the middle of May, Mary Percs was hired to work as part of Camp Tagonda's kitchen staff. She was a short, portly woman with a faint Russian accent. She was one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met, always wearing her jolly smile. Ms. Percs gave herself the funniest nickname, “Large Tush” Ma Percs. My friends and I made our way to the dinner line and I quickly grabbed a faded blue tray and flashed Ma Percs a toothy smile as I got my semi-warm hamburger. We walked over to our table and sat down next to Holly, our favorite counselor. Everyone was famished due to all of the day’s action packed activities; earlier I rode a jet ski on my own. People chowed down as I sat there staring at the meat, as if! It looked like something my dog would drop on my backdoor step! When my entire cabin finished dinner (besides me), we headed back to 22A, when I heard loud groaning and crying from the cabins. I looked around, campers and counselors were dropping like flies. They crumpled to their knees on the dry, rocky dirt. Let’s just say their meal wasn’t down there for long.
I was confused, it seemed like I was the only one not suffering from this horrific illness. Their faces were pale as ghosts, with sweat soaking through their clothes. I was in a panic, no idea what to do, no cell phone service to make an emergency call. Then a light bulb went off; I sprinted up to the old golf course where I got one bar of service, that was all I needed. My fingers were trembling as I pressed the screen; 9-1-1. My voice cracked as I recited the address that I had memorized from the Camp Tagonda’s prominent song. It took an elongated 20 minutes for the first ambulance to arrive. I was in hysterics, that is until I passed out from anxiety. 

When I came to, I was informed by the doctors that the campers had all died from cyanide found in the hamburgers. I was interrogated by a police officer that had a short grey beard and a small coffee stain on the right shirt pocket. He wasted no time, asking me if I had any information or knowledge about any possible suspects. The only person who survived was a fat woman who worked on the kitten staff he told me. She had claimed she couldn’t remember anything and was supposedly suffering from PTSD. “Large Tush” Ma Percs was the only counselor who fit that description, and the second I told the officer, he left the room and told me he would only be a few minutes.  It felt like a millennium by the time he returned. He had gone into the database to search for any type of information about Ms. Percs. The officer found no one by that name.  A cold chil went down my back as the words escaped his lips. When I went home I typed her name into the Google search bar, anything at all could help. As my fingers slid across the keyboard, I noticed there was an unusual pattern in her name. I wrote it down, just how I had seen it done in cop shows, and right before my eyes, the truth unfolded.  “Large Tush” Ma Percs, was not a nickname at all. Unscrambled it read a message; slaughter campers. 

6 comments:

  1. The beginning of the story really grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading! the short story was put together really well, and it flowed nicely! I LOVE the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay-
    I am completely flabbergasted by this story! So clever! I loved your descriptive writing and surprising conclusion. I believe the epiphany of your story would be the very end, when the main character discovers that the cook was a murderer. Great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay,
    I love love love this story! The beginning of it really captured my attention, and I enjoyed hearing about the narrator's love for camp. I also could not wait to see what happened to the campers and I was very curious as to who was responsible. The epiphany was definitely at the end of the story when the narrator discovered the true meaning of the nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James Bagnell
    I really liked your short story it reminded me of a camp I went to called Camp Tockwough! I really enjoyed all of your detail too! This story also really made me feel kinda creep-ed out, it was really cool though! I see that the Epiphany was when the campers started dropping like flies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I thought this was going to be like one of those dumb stereotypical camp stories you read, but then, BAM! Mass murder. Really creeped me out at the end, but that name was really creative. Cool story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay,
    I love this story! It had my attention from the start and I was curious to see who was the culprit. The epiphany was when the nickname's meaning was revealed.

    ReplyDelete