Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Grace Kaufhold
F block Intro to Lit.
Mr. Dilworth
9/8/14 
Yard Sale
It was 99 degrees in the middle of June with the smell of fresh cut grass to start my day. I get a text from my friend John asking "Do you wanna hang out?" I didn't really have anything to do, except to go to the grocery store. So, I replied back saying "Sure, you can come over at 2:45." He finally pulls up to my house in his mid-night black jeep Cherokee at 3:00. John really never gets anywhere on time, he always likes to be "fashionably late." He saunters in without even ringing the doorbell or even knocking on the front door. I’m sitting on the couch watchingModern Family and John hops onto the cushion right next to me. I ask him if he wants to go to the grocery store with me and he says "sure." John is also the kind of person who is up for anything. We get into his car and turn on the radio to Kanye West's “Can't Tell Me Nothing." Both of us start belching the lyrics off pitch and dancing to the catchy tune. As carefree as we are, John turns onto the wrong street. The street consists of old, farmhouses with beautiful tall trees and big, bright green yards. One of the houses has a yard sale; John says, "Let’s see what there is, just for fun." We pull up and there are old antiques, books, and more interesting things lay across the whole front yard. An old man comes out and asks us if we need any help but I reply "thanks, just looking". The man was kind of creepy looking, like he was hiding something. I kept turning my head and glancing at him, we made really quick awkward eye contact a couple of times. I told myself to stop looking at him because it looked really suspicious. I was now looking at this old book that looked like an intriguing mystery. It was only 5 dollars and I thought to myself why not read it on a rainy day or something. I bought it and then we got right into the car and headed to the grocery store. While I'm in the car I was looking at the book and flipping through its pages really quickly. A small crumpled up, rectangular piece of paper flies out, to the bottom of my seat. I pick it up, my heart starts beating really fast, my eyes open very wide. I blink a couple of times and see that this piece of paper is a check for 3 million dollars. 

1 comment:

  1. Grace,
    I really enjoyed this story. I liked how it took place in modern times and it is something that could possibly occur in real life. The entire time you had me wondering- "What is the deal with this creepy old guy?!" I was unable to identify an epiphany in this story. However, I suppose that the discovery of the 3 million dollar check was similar to an epiphany because it displays that there really was something odd about the old man. Good job!

    ReplyDelete