Saturday, May 9, 2015

Come to the Cabaret


The lights came up and the actors disappeared behind the thick velvet curtain that separated me from 1930s Berlin. I knew that this meant that the play was over and it was time for me to leave, but I couldn’t leave. I wasn’t ready. The tears in my eyes would prevent me from finding the exit and the weight of my heart, now lying in the pit of my stomach, would prevent me from moving.  So, instead of following the crowd toward the busy streets of New York City, I sat down to think. My mom interrupted my silent meditation by asking, “Did you like it?” I hesitated before answering, hoping to regain my strength and conceal my quivering lip. I knew that her question was another signal telling me I had to go, but I still couldn’t find it in me to leave the world in which I was so immersed.

There was so much I didn’t understand. I didn’t understand how a normal stage filled with normal people could evoke such feelings within me. I didn’t understand how a world made of wood and steel could perfectly illustrate a world made of hatred and discrimination.  I didn’t understand how the audience was able to leave Studio 54 with bright smiles and steady feet. I didn’t understand how they could possibly continue living like life is a cabaret when they just witnessed how life can very easily be a giant graveyard. The only thing I wanted in that moment was to break through the thick wall in my brain and access the unexplored world that contains the answers to everything I don't understand.  But as I was being called by my mother, I realized that this was impossible. All I could do was learn to accept and join the mass of bodies marching out the door. 

That night, I emerged from the dark, isolated theater and into the overwhelming energy of the city. The blinding lights and the feeling of cold rain on my body brought me back into the world that I knew so well. I walked towards home and once again let the damp footprints of my black high-heels align with the others on the sidewalk.

5 comments:

  1. Brooke, I love this vignette! There is some very strong imagery and the emotions are very deep. I love how your mom is used as an interruption of your silence, but also as a realization of the impossible. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really excellent vignette that shows a lot of emotion. I really like your use of metaphorical language to describe your very strong emotional reaction to the play; your heart isn't literally weighing you down too much to move, of course, but it's metaphorical heaviness has overwhelmed you so much that you can't move. This is a really eloquent expression of your reaction to the play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke this is excellent! Your appreciation for this play is well demonstrated by the use of your strong diction and passion that you can FEEL in your body. For example, "The tears in my eyes would prevent me from finding the exit and the weight of my heart, now lying in the pit of my stomach, would prevent me from moving," illustrates your love for the play as it physically affects you. Great job Brookie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, I loved reading this vignette. My favorite aspect was its portrayal of an escape from reality. I especially enjoy how you questioned the idea that people in costumes, singing songs on a stage, could evoke such emotion within you. The lines at the end, "The blinding lights and the feeling of cold rain on my body brought me back into the world that I knew so well. I walked towards home and once again let the damp footprints of my black high-heels align with the others on the sidewalk", are obviously symbolic of your return to reality after escaping our world to join that of 1930s Berlin. Great descriptive language, theme, and message, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This vignette uses imagery and metaphors so beautifully. It reminds me of “A&P” in the sense that society is made up of sheep that do not truly understand- or want to understand- the severity of their environments. I loved your last line, on how you were forced to rejoin the footsteps of everyone else. The fact that you were observant to this makes this vignette as loss of innocence. I this vignette is wonderful. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete