Saturday, May 9, 2015

The First Fish

James Bagnell
F Block
5-9-15

The First Fish

It was a quiet Sunday in West Chester, Pennsylvania when I tried to reel in the brown trout. The trout where looking sleek and smooth with little brown spots all over their bodies. They looked like little eyes, looking at all different directions. As I threw in my transparent line with a sharp number 12 gold hook with a nice earth worm wrapped inside and of it just like my dad taught me. I reeled in fast catching nothing but a little twig. I looked at the brown smooth twig and laughed, thinking that it was a fish at first. But on the second glorious cast my transparent line hit the perfect ridge in the creek. The hook made perfect ripples, they looked like little “o’s” and eventually it smoothed out with the current. I let the hook drag on the bottom of the creek, clinging and clanging on the rocks eventually hitting the perfect spot and sitting still. The worm was wiggling around just enough; it looked like a blow up balloon you would see at a car dealership saying “no down fee!” in capital letters. Then I noticed the brown trout with a thousand spotted eyes swimming around it, looking to see if it was good enough to eat. Eventually the thousand eye brown trout took the number 12 gold hook with the worm on it and swam fast as it gulped it up. I heard my Dad say, “Set the hook!” I pulled the rod to the left and hooked the trout on its top left mouth. As I reeled in fast and smooth I noticed the fish wasn’t coming in with the line. I reeled in all of the line and there was nothing left but the see through line, not even the size 12 gold hook. My Dad laughed and all I could do was laugh with him. 

3 comments:

  1. James,
    I think the visual imagery you used in this vignette really tied in with it well! Through this vignette I can sense the good times you have with your dad. Although you didn't catch the fish, I can tell that the time you spent with him really meant a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The imagery in this vignette that you used to describe the fish, rod, and worm was as if the reader was with you that day when you were fishing. It was not about catching a fish that day, it was about the memories that you made with your father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great imagery in this one, Bags! Really impressed with how you talked about your time with your father, while telling a story about fish. That was a great way to express how you feel about time with your dad.

    ReplyDelete