Friday, May 8, 2015

Write your Own Vignette

vignette is a short impressionistic scene that focuses on one moment or gives an incisive impression about a character, idea, setting, or object and cuts right to the heart of the matter.  It should leave the reader thinking about the scene and its deeper meaning, and it should invoke a specific feeling or emotion.

Today, you will be writing your own vignette.  Just as Cisneros writes vignettes that capture, describe, and explore Esperanza's life, you will do the same with your life.  Think of an important time or moment in your life that is significant to you and may symbolize something deeper than just the event itself. 

Craft a vignette in the style of Cisneros (imagery, figurative language, symbolism, etc.) and post it to the blog.  Give it a creative title, be descriptive, creative, imaginative and free in your writing. Think about your opening and closing lines. Find your own voice and infuse this piece with emotion.  It can be happy, sad, silly, funny, somber, poignant- whatever you want it to be.  There is no minimum length and it should not be more than one and a half pages. You should include a picture with your vignette.

You should also reply to one of your classmates' vignettes with something nice to say.

Due by Monday. Have fun. I can't wait to read these!

1 comment:

  1. *I am still trying to figure out how to post on this blog.


    My Fourth Christmas

    It was December 24, 2004. My Mother put the Santa tracker on our computer. The anticipation was killing me. My sister and I, bundled in our Christmas onezies, ran to the kitchen to prepare the glass of milk and warm cookies for Santa. I also grabbed carrots for the reindeer as well. The Christmas tree filled our house with the pleasant scent of the Douglas Fur pine needles. Shortly after, my Pop Pop arrived at my house to read us “The Night Before Christmas.”

    All I wanted was to sit on the couch with my sister and wait for my hero, however my mother told me that if I did not go to sleep; then Santa would not come. Without a response I went to my room and when my parents came to check on me, I would close my eyes and act like I was sleeping. I waited until my digital clock read 5:00 a.m. Then, I quickly ran into my sisters room to wake her so that we would be able to get wake our parents up together.

    We tugged and pulled on our parents until they agreed to come out with us to open our presents. I could not believe my eyes when I peeked around the corner. Ever color in the rainbow was wrapped around the tree. On the backside of the tree, stood my brand new dirt bike just waiting to be started and raced. Everything that I had wrote on my list was there. It was the best day of my life.

    ReplyDelete